Monday, April 1, 2013

Reiki for a broken bone - Week 1

My injured wrist, waiting at the ER
It's been 1 week already that I started my "case study" for Reiki on a broken bone (Read previous blog here), following my most gracious but hard fall on my wrist while I was rollerskating disco-style (don't you love my glitter shirt? lol).  What have I learned in a week?

First, I must be very mindful of what I think.  If I have a thought or feel a need to learn about a specific application of Reiki and energy work, the Universe might just synchronize ME as my own case study!

Second, attitude means a lot when you're healing from an injury.  I am using this time as an opportunity to learn more about myself, my relationships and my environment.  I am learning that it's OK to let go of certain thought patterns and of my control over some house chores - it's actually more fun to involve my family members and teach them how to do things rather than doing it all myself.  For instance, my son (who will soon be celebrating his 10th birthday) is now learning how to cook.  I am happy to be teaching him how to blend flavours and textures to create magic in the kitchen.  He is happy to have more autonomy in the kitchen and to have a say in answering that eternal question "what's for dinner Mom?" since I now answer him with, "Well, what do you want to help me create?"  This co-creation and teaching are habits I want to continue even after my cast is removed.

As for my husband, I am learning to rely on him more.  I am learning that he actually enjoys being asked to help and that it makes him feel useful and important around the house.  When I attended the Keeping It Positive Wellness Conference in Russell earlier in March, Kristine Gravelle-Rystenbil, "The Luv Chick" did mention that men were biologically programmed to help/provide and that one of the best things a woman can learn to help her relationship is to ask her man to use his big muscles to help with tasks around the house - a much better strategy than nagging.  That strategy did not resonate with me at all at the time of the conference, but now that I have to apply it, I must admit it works.  My husband is more than happy to help around the house now and to receive my coaching on how to do things (not nagging, coaching!).  He still hasn't mastered the art of the ponytail making, and I have found an other solution for tying up my hair, but his cooking and cleaning skills are improving.  And so I see my injury as an overall blessing for our relationship.

Finally, for the application of Reiki and energy work to the physical injury, I feel so blessed that I have this tool at my disposal 24/7!  I have felt a lot of pain not only at my wrist, but my entire arm, shoulder girdle and even on the left side of my body as I try to continue to function with my non-dominant hand.  With Reiki, I was able to reduce my intake of pain killers, both in dosage and in length of time.  My go-to strategy when I felt pain was to take a deep breath while connecting to Spirit, and sing "OM Nama Shivaya".  I have kept appointments with my clients this past week, and I have felt the energy wrapping my wrist in cool healing energy during treatments on others.  My pain was non-existent during sessions and for a few hours after sessions, and my arm felt lighter.  My sister drew the Reiki symbols on my cast, over the injured area, and since then I feel a constant light buzzing in my wrist, and I know it is healing.  It is hard to tell how much physical healing occurred in a week without the use of x-rays - and I am not a doctor - but given that I can now move my arm with less pain, that the swelling in my fingers is gone, and that I can take on additional weight for a short period of time (even my iphone was too heavy for the first few days!), I'd say there has been significant progress.

My recommendations, then, for anyone with a bone injury would be to enjoy the process as much as possible.  Instead of focusing on what you can't do, focus on what you can do.  Find creative new ways to move and involve others in your life.  An injury can be a teacher, for yourself and for others too.  For energy treatments, I recommend a minimum of 30 minutes of direct energy application every day once the bone is set, a go-to energy solution when the pain peaks, in addition to a minimum 1 hour healing meditation every day.  It's good to see a Reiki practitioner or energy healer every day in the first 5 days - your pain may be too high for you to concentrate on your healing and on the lessons you are learning, and you may need someone to hold that healing energy for you.  Once the pain is reduced, continue to see your energy healer every 2-3 days for the next few days.  The energy work can be done in person or at a distance - remember that I am available for distant sessions and I would be happy to help you in your healing process, wherever you are in the world.

Remember also that healing, like life, is a journey.  There are no overnight miracle cures - unless we have something to learn or teach from such a quick healing.  For most of us humans, we learn best if the lesson takes some time...

I am sending you loads of healing energy, and see you living vibrantly.

***********

Updates:

No comments:

Post a Comment